Vid - Crooked Lake to 32

100 Mile Snow Safari General Chat
Skip28

Vid - Crooked Lake to 32

Post by Skip28 »

Since snow is thin, I'm waiting (hoping?) for better conditions to come. Meahwhile, I finally finished putting this together (which I shot on 2/27/15.) First timer with the GoPro, so this was more experimental than anything...
Also, technically this is Oconto Co. ... but the 100 miler IS the active forum after all! I hope you enjoy :biggrin:

[youtube]1y0hq4F5Fnc[/youtube]
Jim
Site Admin

Nice Vid!

Post by Jim »

Skip, thank-you for sharing your ride with us! :coolcat:
Awesome. :thumbup:

We got about 3/8" light fluffy dusting last night, :rolleyes:
but the temps have been low. :cool:

To embed a YouTube video directly into your post,
just type the "video id" inbetween the YouTube "control tags" like so:

[ YouTube]1y0hq4F5Fnc[/YouTube]

But without the blank space after the first [

Your video id usually looks something like this: v=1y0hq4F5Fnc
It's the part that follows the v=

:thinksnow:
Skip28

Post by Skip28 »

Jim - Thanks for the tip (and the fix!) I was wondering how to do that...
Jim
Site Admin

Post by Jim »

[QUOTE=Skip28]Jim - Thanks for the tip (and the fix!) [/QUOTE]You are welcome! :smile:
That's why I'm here. :shy:

:thinksnow::whitecrayon:
Harski

Post by Harski »

Skip, nice video! I have to comment on how there is little to no darting on your sled! Must have her dialed in good! That's one thing that sticks out at me when watching other peoples video's and how they're sled and head are darting all over the place! I need to take Dramamine to watch'em sometimes! Thanks again for the video and let's hope some now is on the way soon!

Harski
Jim
Site Admin

Post by Jim »

:dizzy:[QUOTE=Harski]Skip, nice video! I have to comment on how there is little to no darting on your sled! Must have her dialed in good! That's one thing that sticks out at me when watching other peoples video's and how they're sled and head are darting all over the place! I need to take Dramamine to watch'em sometimes! Thanks again for the video and let's hope some now is on the way soon!
Harski[/QUOTE]

I know what you mean. :thumbup:
Unfortunately, this next video I am about to post,
was shot with an old Bullet Cam mounted onto the back of the sled. :dizzy:
Skip28

Post by Skip28 »

[QUOTE=Harski;21765]Skip, nice video! I have to comment on how there is little to no darting on your sled! Must have her dialed in good! That's one thing that sticks out at me when watching other peoples video's and how they're sled and head are darting all over the place! I need to take Dramamine to watch'em sometimes! Thanks again for the video and let's hope some now is on the way soon!

Harski[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the kind words! Yes, in general, my Nytro ('11) handles very nicely in the straights, and I've always loved the grunty pull that it has. (Also, it would be fair to say that snow conditions were still pretty good, and I was riding early Friday trails, not Saturday trails! Thanks to the Iron Snowshoe and Paul Bunyan goomers ;):thumbup::beer: .) In this video, I am still running the OEM Yamaha single keel skis with 8" Bergstrom Triple Point carbides (probably 4,500-5,000 miles on the carbides, still in pretty good shape). You will notice, however, that I do tend to push in the corners - more than I'd like, anyway. So ... for this season, I have replaced the OEM skis with the new Yamaha Tuner dual keels, with a 4"+6" carbide setup. I've read overwhelmingly positive reviews of this upgrade - some say the improvement is so significant, it feels like power steering. I've yet to ride this season, so we shall see - but I am excited to take it out!
Harski

Post by Harski »

[QUOTE=Skip28;21771]Thanks for the kind words! Yes, in general, my Nytro ('11) handles very nicely in the straights, and I've always loved the grunty pull that it has. (Also, it would be fair to say that snow conditions were still pretty good, and I was riding early Friday trails, not Saturday trails! Thanks to the Iron Snowshoe and Paul Bunyan goomers ;):thumbup::beer: .) In this video, I am still running the OEM Yamaha single keel skis with 8" Bergstrom Triple Point carbides (probably 4,500-5,000 miles on the carbides, still in pretty good shape). You will notice, however, that I do tend to push in the corners - more than I'd like, anyway. So ... for this season, I have replaced the OEM skis with the new Yamaha Tuner dual keels, with a 4"+6" carbide setup. I've read overwhelmingly positive reviews of this upgrade - some say the improvement is so significant, it feels like power steering. I've yet to ride this season, so we shall see - but I am excited to take it out![/QUOTE]

I'm not too savvy on tech stuff but I do have keen eye for details as mentioned. I did also noticed that you pushed a bit while turning and was kind of wondering how you weren't darting a bit. Bergstrom triples huh, I'm working my way there one day. I've been running Woody's 6" trailmaster(?) for a long time but, I'm going to try the Stud Boy Deuce this year to see how that goes (on Doo Pilots w/Bergstrom shims). I usually push the corners too but I like to stay light there and brake if I need to turn if that makes any sense. I'm not an aggressive rider or a "corner washout" person but I don't want to man handle the sled all day. I know there is always some adjustment to the suspension I can do too. At this point I'll be happy for some snow in which it looks like it's coming next week! Good luck with your new set up! :thumbup:

Harski
Skip28

Post by Skip28 »

I didn't mention that little detail, but I also have the Bergstrom shims mounted to the bottom of my rubber ski pads...which means I still have them, as I am using the same pads with my new skis. I am far from an "expert" when it comes to suspension adjustment (and I've been in the middle of many other discussions on this topic here at SnowSafari.) Last season, I did spend some time on one of my solo trips playing with my front clickers, and I noticed some nice (but subtle) improvements.
SnoBird888

Post by SnoBird888 »

That's exactly how a gopro helmet video should be take! so many put them on pointing straight out but the helmet sits on the head tilting down. so they upload these videos and you cant see 2' in front of the ski tips!