100 Mile Trail conditions - LMT too!

100 Mile Snow Safari General Chat
tsg

100 Mile Trail conditions - LMT too!

Post by tsg »

I have to take exception and completely disagree with a recent posting made in another thread, which is below. I too have a cottage on the TFlowage, and ride north, west, etc..... on a weekly / weekend basis. The trail heading N/NW behind Valley is always groomed, and that section is groomed by both Red Arrow and the Wabeno 100 miler. I see both groomers through there continuously and constantly, at all different times. Then, where the 100 heads north off Diamond Roof Road, to the LMT intersections, Windfall, etc..., it is usually groomed often and well, probably 5+ times a week. The problem is that it is heavily traveled, and the trail base (not snow base) is somewhat rough, and almost all of the trail is in the woods, and will require more snow to make it through the trees. Yes it can get rough at times, but it very seldom stays that way very long, be it a day or so. These trails are somewhat twisty and narrow, and cannot be groomed as quickly, thus the reason Wabeno has a Tucker.

As for LMT, I think they too do a very good job. They have a lot of area to cover, so they may not get to every trail every day, but they cover them all several times per week. It depends when you ride them will determine their conditions. And finally, not sure that all these clubs have as many manhour grooming resources as we think, so they are doing the best they can given the resources. As for Red Arrow the club I belong to, they too do an excellent job.

I really think all of us, me included, have become spoiled and expect every ride to be great and all trails flat. I think all clubs strive for that too, but it is just not possible. Snow conditions, weather, all play a role, as do the way people ride.

So, I think we should be more appreciative of all that the clubs do, and enjoy the time out on the trails, regardless of conditions!

"I tend to notice the same thing. We ride from our cabin on the T flowage and if we want to get up to Wabeno 100 miler etc it seems like the backway trails are never done any more. We did run across the groomer doing the lmt 2/4 loop that friday after new years and he said they couldnt do much with it with the little snow they had then. Major bumps in spots others were nice and smooth. I did notice that the trail going behind valley inn toward the carter/wabeno and windfall lake intersection (done by the 100 miler groomers) is also rarely done. More than likely because no other 100 mile trail connects directly to it from what I can see on the maps. Its those dead end or non connecting trails that a different group should take over in my opinion and trade trails that work better for others.

I can only imagine a groomer likes to do loops rather than having to find a spot to turn around a tucker in the woods were "thier" trails end and another begins. Hopefully one day I can spend more time in the northwoods and not behind a desk to help groom and such. Maybe 30 years from now! Until then I can give the thumbs up and help fill the donation jars!"
RVR RNR

Post by RVR RNR »

:thumbup:
jakerides

x2

Post by jakerides »

:smile::thumbup:
snohawk

Post by snohawk »

[QUOTE=tsg;20967]I have to take exception and completely disagree with a recent posting made in another thread, which is below. I too have a cottage on the TFlowage, and ride north, west, etc..... on a weekly / weekend basis. The trail heading N/NW behind Valley is always groomed, and that section is groomed by both Red Arrow and the Wabeno 100 miler. I see both groomers through there continuously and constantly, at all different times. Then, where the 100 heads north off Diamond Roof Road, to the LMT intersections, Windfall, etc..., it is usually groomed often and well, probably 5+ times a week. The problem is that it is heavily traveled, and the trail base (not snow base) is somewhat rough, and almost all of the trail is in the woods, and will require more snow to make it through the trees. Yes it can get rough at times, but it very seldom stays that way very long, be it a day or so. These trails are somewhat twisty and narrow, and cannot be groomed as quickly, thus the reason Wabeno has a Tucker.

As for LMT, I think they too do a very good job. They have a lot of area to cover, so they may not get to every trail every day, but they cover them all several times per week. It depends when you ride them will determine their conditions. And finally, not sure that all these clubs have as many manhour grooming resources as we think, so they are doing the best they can given the resources. As for Red Arrow the club I belong to, they too do an excellent job.

I really think all of us, me included, have become spoiled and expect every ride to be great and all trails flat. I think all clubs strive for that too, but it is just not possible. Snow conditions, weather, all play a role, as do the way people ride.

So, I think we should be more appreciative of all that the clubs do, and enjoy the time out on the trails, regardless of conditions!

"I tend to notice the same thing. We ride from our cabin on the T flowage and if we want to get up to Wabeno 100 miler etc it seems like the backway trails are never done any more. We did run across the groomer doing the lmt 2/4 loop that friday after new years and he said they couldnt do much with it with the little snow they had then. Major bumps in spots others were nice and smooth. I did notice that the trail going behind valley inn toward the carter/wabeno and windfall lake intersection (done by the 100 miler groomers) is also rarely done. More than likely because no other 100 mile trail connects directly to it from what I can see on the maps. Its those dead end or non connecting trails that a different group should take over in my opinion and trade trails that work better for others.

I can only imagine a groomer likes to do loops rather than having to find a spot to turn around a tucker in the woods were "thier" trails end and another begins. Hopefully one day I can spend more time in the northwoods and not behind a desk to help groom and such. Maybe 30 years from now! Until then I can give the thumbs up and help fill the donation jars!"[/QUOTE]

tsg,

I agree that the Red Arrow trails have been are are being groomed very well for years. It is very enjoyable to ride around Townsend and loop down the backside of Hwy 32. Paul Bunyan's trails have been very good the last few years since they switched to grooming at night. The trail that goes west from Valley Inn is always good on Sunday morning. I will disagree that the LMT trails are good on Sunday morning south of Wabeno. If I could I would upload a video of the difference leaving Red Arrow trails and entering LMT's. I had looked forward to ride up to Roberts Lake area for a lunch break before heading home. We did not go using the Valley Inn trail because I would use that for the trip back to prevent back tracking on the same trail. The LMT 2 trail had not been groomed over night making it very rough. Riding with the family I will stop and ask everyone if they want to continue letting them know that it will be the same condition for several miles until we get to the Snow Safari trail or turn around. With the family the vote is always to turn around and go back to the trails that have been groomed. If I would have been riding with just the guys I would have loved to exercise the Rush's suspension :)

There are two poinst to this comment.

1. The LMT trails are a lot of fun to ride and I enjoy going though the woods. They used to always be flat and great to ride on during an early Sunday morning ride. I hope that maybe they can modify the grooming schedule to end up with a great trail. I know that the snow and weather so far sucks to make a great trail, but look at what Paul Bunyan has done with less snow.

2. With the new Wisconsin Trail pass program starting next year, I really think that clubs should try to make the trails enjoyable to ride for the families on the weekends and stop promoting how great they are during the week because they have just groomed them during the week. I have to work during the week to pay for this sick habit :lol:

Paul Bunyan's trails had not been very good on Sunday morning and now after a few years of grooming at night they great to ride Sunday morning, always nice to put an extra 150 miles on Sunday before heading home :thumbup:
snoway

Post by snoway »

Well said tsg...

I for one don't mind a little chop or even a few whooped out corners.

IMO, we sledders are the cause of the trail conditions we then bitch about.

Look at where sleds are these days as far as track length and lug size, suspension travel and HP.

One small blip of the throttle and a bushel basket a snow is immediately piled up in our wake!

Maybe 20" of travel is the solution!!!....LOL.....but seriously, There are a billion bits of computer space dedicated to forum posts about "how my suspension kiks your brands suspensions @$$!!!!"....LOL ....and still we bitch if the trails ain't pool table flat!....give me a break!:rotfl:
Nashotah7

Post by Nashotah7 »

:lol::thumbup:

:thinksnow::letitsnow::ineedsnow::whitecrayon::whitecrayon::bluecrayon: