Dads not very happy

100 Mile Snow Safari General Chat
HGtrailboss

Dads not very happy

Post by HGtrailboss »

We were up on our club trip this past weekend. Trails were awsome. I was leading a group of 6 between Hiles and the first intersection to Three lakes. Met a single sled just flying down the trail in the turns. This guy ending up hitting the fourth sled in our group which happened to be my 20 year old daughter. Hey, accidents happen. I understand that. He claims we were all on his side of the trail. Whatever??? Its what he next that really _isses me off. :mad: He was so upset that he slapped my daughter on the back of the helmet so hard that her breath protector flew out of her helmet. :eek: There is no reason to act that way. Thats border line assault. Boy do I wish I would have seen this happen!!!! His sled was a newer stile Skidoo, black and grey with the silhouette stickers of a woman on each side of the hood. I am sure someone knows who this is. Thats the kind of guy that gives snowmobilers a bad name.:thumbdown:
Nashotah7

Post by Nashotah7 »

You know I was just thinking about stuff like this today. The groomer has gone trough and groomed, yet many riders continue to ride off the trails. While riding last weekend I also was almost hit because of a single rider cutting the corners in the woods, and as most could say they have also. Do the younger riders think that the trails are only riden by them? They continue to have no respect for other riders or land owners. Too bad you didn't get his registration number.......but maybe someone who knows of this incident will be mature enough to realize what was done is wrong and provide some information. Good luck.
Johnnie

Post by Johnnie »

I have been at Johnnies for a few years now. I have NEVER heard some one say, I almost hit a guy and I was on the wrong side of the trail. Every time, it is he was on the my side of the trail. I used to groom for many years. I would groom the trail between Wabikon and Laona early in the week then again later in the week. I would have the trail 14 ft. wide on those wide roads. Let me tell you ALL the tracks would be on the inside 4' of every corner. There would not be a single ski mark on the outside 6' of any flat corner. And, these were mid week riders, which I consider safer riders.

Now throw in the the one day riders on Saturday who unload in Lakewood or where ever @ 8 in the morning want to put on 200+ miles and be back in the Valley of a date that night. On Saturday, take every corner on the outside, if it is not your side, the other guy coming on the outside will be going slow also and you will have time to react. The racers will be on the inside of EVERY corner. Saturday and being on the inside of any corner is not good.

You more of a chance of getting hurt by one of these Saturday mid day racers, then by a drunk at 2AM in the morning. It is sad to say, but true.
snoway

Post by snoway »

I confess,...i been on YOUR side a the trail at some point on any day my sled will start....don't make a habit of it but guilty none the less....lucky me I ussually get to lead and scare the deer off too!
HGtrailboss

Post by HGtrailboss »

Yes, I realize guys ride on the wrong side of the trail. That will never change. You just have to be aware. The thing that really bothers me is that he had the nerve to open hand slap her on the back of the head. That was uncalled for.
Jim
Site Admin

Post by Jim »

[QUOTE=HGtrailboss]The thing that really bothers me is that he had the nerve to open hand slap her on the back of the head. That was uncalled for.[/QUOTE]I agree. You should of slapped him on the back of the head, see how he likes it!

[quote]In common law, assault is the act of creating apprehension of an imminent harmful or [b]offensive contact[/b] with a person[/quote]
snohawk

Post by snohawk »

[QUOTE=Nashotah7;19860] Do the younger riders think that the trails are only riden by them? They continue to have no respect for other riders or land owners. [/QUOTE]

I don't think that the problem is only the younger riders. Look at the Wisconsin DNR Crash Incident report, average age is over 40. I lead most of the time, and it is not the leader but the riders behind the leader riding with no clue on whats coming head on, they are usually on the wrong side of the trail looking around. Or if you come up on a group of sleds with mirrors they are always riding down the middle of the trail.

The biggest problem is everyone is riding around on a sled that is not setup up properly, 3" of dull carbides, suspension not setup to turn so they always need to be on the inside of the trail.
05FireCat600SP

Post by 05FireCat600SP »

[QUOTE=snohawk;19865]I don't think that the problem is only the younger riders. Look at the Wisconsin DNR Crash Incident report, average age is over 40. I lead most of the time, and it is not the leader but the riders behind the leader riding with no clue on whats coming head on, they are usually on the wrong side of the trail looking around. Or if you come up on a group of sleds with mirrors they are always riding down the middle of the trail.

The biggest problem is everyone is riding around on a sled that is not setup up properly, 3" of dull carbides, suspension not setup to turn so they always need to be on the inside of the trail.[/QUOTE]

I would like to just put a X2 on this. I encourage everyone to get out and check out the beautful area's of the state via snowmobile but as a driver of any vehicle you need to be aware of what is in front of you and what is behind you. I have been involved in more incidents with people who have their head turn to the right or left looking into the woods than a person riding "aggresively". For example, last year I was literally ran off the trial from a person who was coming down a straight trail section as their head was looking in the woods the whole time they were approaching me. Secondly, I have caught up with many groups and rode behind them until I could safely pass them. Again my observations, more than half of the drivers would have their heads looking into the woods while driving.

Back to the main point, I would also second that one snowmobiler hitting another snowmobiler after an incident is completely out of line.
bee1971

Post by bee1971 »

No one got his Reg # Sticker ??? Was there any damage to any of the sleds ??? How about sled #5 and #6 , did they see this happen and confront this guy ??? I guess I am a little confused on why the police are not getting involved
HGtrailboss

Post by HGtrailboss »

[QUOTE=bee1971;19868]No one got his Reg # Sticker ??? Was there any damage to any of the sleds ??? How about sled #5 and #6 , did they see this happen and confront this guy ??? I guess I am a little confused on why the police are not getting involved[/QUOTE]

Rider # 5 got there just before he slapped her. She got off her sled and confronted him. He threw up his arms and took off. He did not hang around to long after other sleds pulled up. It all happened so fast know one was able to get a sticker #. And yes, there is some damage to the back of my daughter sled..