Midseason Observations

100 Mile Snow Safari General Chat
Keemez

Midseason Observations

Post by Keemez »

First off, thanks to all the groomer drivers and administrators who year after year see to it that we have some incredibly high quality trails to ride.

Secondly, WHAT IN THE BLAZES AILS IDIOTS TO RIDE RIGHT DOWN THE MIDDLE OF A FRESHLY GROOMED TRAIL THAT'S 12+ FEET WIDE????????????? :x :x :x :x :x :x :x I'm also seeing increased instances of opposing traffic being WELL over the center of the trail (particularly on corners). I'm not generally one to hope that people get caught at something wrong (who am I kidding? of course I am), but I think there needs to be far more enforcement and patroling to curb this sheer idiocy. I can't believe there aren't more serious incidents and fatalities as a result of this foolishness.

Thirdly: Yesterday I took a fairly extended loop from Wabenoish north on the NST to Tipler, west to Alvin, continuing west to Eagle River, then back via ThreeLakes, Hiles, Argonne, Laona, etc. The trail segment between Tipler and Alvin was absolutely pristine- I was the first person across a good portion of it. Then when I approached the outskirts of the EagleRiver area, I snagged a photo of the SNO-EAGLES club sign ("grooming the snowmobile capital of the world"). I'm here to tell you, those potlickers could take a lesson or two from the Forest county groomers. The trails over there were absolutely horrible (no doubt they hadn't gotten to everything yet after the weekend). It just makes me all that much more appreciative of the Forest county folks. Thanks, guys.... from all of us! :D
CHOPPER 3

Re: Midseason Observations

Post by CHOPPER 3 »

Thanks buddy :) We have a little slice of heaven here and are lucky indeed :!: We love seeing those thumbs up :P Rumor has it that Sasquatch is out on the trail somewhere ready to wave a finger at riders with bad riding practices . The guy is hairy and smells bad ... I wouldn't wanna mess with him . He's also been known to monitor this site (when he can get service).
100 Miler Trail Boss
Jim
Site Admin

Post by Jim »

Keemez wrote: First off, thanks to all the groomer drivers and administrators who year after year see to it that we have some incredibly high quality trails to ride.
You are welcome, Keith. We do it for the riders like yourself, and not the idiots. I tell ya... sometimes I feel like I'm only one idiot from calling it quits at times. Some of our Groomer Drivers make a lot of sacrifices to create the best trails we can. And it's very disappointing to see some jackass tearing up the trail because they think they have a "right" to. :ugeek:
ralphie

Post by ralphie »

Thanks for the compliment, we have very dedicated drivers, along with our neighboring clubs in Forest County. I will be rolling over 4000 miles when I go out tomorrow. I've seen some of the worse riders this year than I saw in many years, no respect is the main problem, it's all about them. Riding down the middle to the left side has been an ongoing problem, I ride by myself a lot and had a quite of few groups that would not let me pass. I may have the old school opinion that if someone comes up behind you they are going faster than you are, let them pass, its a 2 lane trail. I had to pass several people on the right this year also, that should never happen. Enough of that, hopefully we have a few more weeks left, we will continue grooming until the temps don't allow us to.

Thank You
Ralphie
trail boss 100 mile snow safari.
Klings262

Post by Klings262 »

Gentlemen,

I too would like to give you all a high five on the extensive hours you all sacrifice to keep the condition of the trail systems in the area flat and smooth. Not just the 100 miler, but the Red arrow, Pickerel, LMT, Iron Snowshoe, Paul Bunyan, DunnGood, Lily, Etc. and all the premium trails these clubs in the area provide us riders to enjoy. Unfortunately I don't know any of you groomer drivers or I'd be sure to buy you each a cold one if we ever crossed paths.

Now for the 'this is the only time I'll ride these trails so screw everyone else' people that seem to think they can ride the wrong side, pound through the open fields adjacent to the marked trail, and wash out every corner with their 15 foot long mountain sled...well I guess you guys get the point. It really shouldn't take more than common sense to realize these things are wrong and detrimental to the clubs and the area businesses that rely on the tourism to keep things moving along in their communities in the winter months. Would it kill at least one or two people in your group to let the oncoming traffic know how many more people are following with a simple hand signal? Even my young teenage kids use this technique to be courteous and safe on the trails, snowmobiling or on the ATV's. Enough ranting, sorry. Keep up the great work and get out and enjoy these trails like we do when you get the chance fellas.

Klings262
Jim
Site Admin

Post by Jim »

Klings262 wrote: Would it kill at least one or two people in your group to let the oncoming traffic know how many more people are following with a simple hand signal?
The same goes for the Groomer Driver. Do not be afraid to let the Groomer Driver know what's going on. Just last night, again. I had a sled come around a corner, and he pulled over. I was about to go, when I saw his riding partner coming around the corner. This also happened a few nights ago too. I see the first rider, and make accommodations for this guy to get by. No signal, so I start moving again, only to find his buddy around the corner. This time it wasn't so easy, and they ended up having to move the sled by hand. If the first guy only given me a sign, I could of stayed put and waited for the guy. :ugeek:
snoway

Post by snoway »

Thanks again for great trails in Forest Co.
I lead, wife follows (on sleds anyways)....On my near misses with oncoming misguided missles, I never feel at ease until I get a glimpse of her headlight in the rear view.
ghostrider

Post by ghostrider »

Great Job grooming! I rode Friday and the trails were pristine! Saturday with the traffic the trails held up pretty well. Its great seeing all your hard work paying off! I agree. What's with no hand signals letting you know how many are or are not coming? :x Friday the blackbear groomer was coming at me, extended tires and everything. I made it easy for both of us. I backed up, got off the trail, and let him by with a thumbs up! Easy and quick!
Keep up the good work and get that tucker fixed! We need those beautiful trails!