Suggestions for drop off location from Shawano this Sat

100 Mile Snow Safari General Chat
bannex

Suggestions for drop off location from Shawano this Sat

Post by bannex »

Looking to get a good day of riding in early Sat morning. Will be trailering from Shawano. Looking at trail reports my guess is somewhere in Forest Cnty is probably a good bet. Then head North.:confused: May be up for finding a place to crash (sleep.....lol) Sat night & return to trucks Sun afternoon if conditions warrant.

Would really appreciate any suggestions on what would be a good place to drop where we would pick up fair to good trail conditions. Suggestions on where to head would be great too.:thumbup:

Pray for snow & ride safe!!!

Thanks!

Drop Location

Post by 97911 »

You might want to consider dropping at the DNR parking lot in Langlade, its located just southwest of the Hwy. 55 & Hwy 64 intersection in Langlade. More specifically it's located west of the Wolf River, south side of Hwy. 64. This location has two gas stations to fuel up for the day, and a few pit stops for the end of the ride "cold one".

From Langlade three trails head north to Lily, the "original" trail on the east side of Hwy. 55, or the rail road grade, or my favorite the Crocker Hills trail which runs west of hwy. 55 and west of "the grade". All three of these trails branch in other directions but be aware parts of Langlade County to the West are still closed.

Be sure to make a pit stop at the Lily Sno Birds club house, as well as all the other businesses and sponsors that support the 100 Mile Snow Safari in Forest Co.
Roger

drop off location

Post by Roger »

North to Wabeno would be a great place to start. Lots of parking and a nice motel if you want to stay over night. (Safari Motel 7154733521) Lots of great loop trails long or short that are well groomed. Hope this helps. Roger
Skip28

Post by Skip28 »

I'd second what Roger said .. .Wabeno (lot right behind Larry the Logroller). Easy lot to get in and out of. (Not sure if it is OK to park overnight, though....) Depending on what you are willing to put up with, you might also go only as far as Townsend. Red Arrow says the grade from there is in poor condition, but it sounds like the wooded trails are OK. (Personally, I really like the wooded trails between Townsend and Wabeno, so that would be my choice if I was riding tomorrow.)

On a personal level, I don't know what the next week to week and half will bring, but riding from Crooked Lake is not looking super promising right now, thus my group is already planning a similar strategy for next weekend (28th-31st) - trailering to Lakewood, Townsend or Wabeno to start our rides.
bannex

Post by bannex »

Thanks for the suggestions. Thinking Wabeno sounds like a good place to start the day. Ride safe & pray for snow!!!
snoway

Post by snoway »

When we drive up 32 we see day riders starting in Mountain and then in Lakewood and Wabeno. Not sure if there is a spot in Townsend.
Folks also park a the Krist gas stations.

:shrug:Not to hijack the thread, but does anyone know the cond. of the NST from Laona north to the border?
Skip28

Post by Skip28 »

[QUOTE=snoway;21901]Not sure if there is a spot in Townsend.[/QUOTE]

Fair question ... and now that I think about it (and despite the fact that I suggested it) I can't specifically recall parking in Townsend, either. Lakewood and Wabeno (and even Mountain) many times, but not Townsend....

Apologies for suggesting something that might not be possible!
CHOPPER 3

NST North of Hwy O to the border

Post by CHOPPER 3 »

That stretch to the border is fine to ride but thinner heading to Jct 5 , nice and flat though and a new bridge is in place .
snoway

Post by snoway »

[QUOTE=CHOPPER 3;21905]That stretch to the border is fine to ride but thinner heading to Jct 5 , nice and flat though and a new bridge is in place .[/QUOTE]

I can't place jct 5 is that where it goes into Florence Co.?

SKIP 28.....LOL I didn't know you mentioned Townsend.....I was just going through my head and started listing the towns....I wasn't baggin on your suggestion. I see trailers at the Valley Bar though.
Av25842

Post by Av25842 »

There is parking in Townsend on the north side of the town hall, the NST runs right next to it.