Corridor 9 -Trail north of hwy 8

100 Mile Snow Safari General Chat
Jim
Site Admin

Post by Jim »

[QUOTE=snoway]To me rail trails are boring. I only use them to get to the trails I actually enjoy riding.[/QUOTE]I prefer trails over rails too. :coolcat:
But I don't mind riding them (rail trails). :rolleyes:
I can tell you which one is easier to groom... :lol:
snoway

Post by snoway »

Although if things would progress to only rail trails I imagine the next logical step would be to ban sleds and heard us onto snowcoachs.
Just bicycle your way over to the snowcoach stop wait 20 minutes and enjoy your ride down the grade.
Sure hope they will have connecting snowcoaches to alla the pitstops!:biggrin:
Jim
Site Admin

Post by Jim »

[QUOTE=snoway]Although if things would progress to only rail trails I imagine the next logical step would be to ban sleds and heard us onto snowcoachs.[/QUOTE]
Funny you should mention that! :biggrin:
I was just considering this new business venture the other day: [B]Wisconsin Snow-Ducks[/B]. :erm:

:winterrules:
snohawk

Post by snohawk »

[QUOTE=snoway;20826]Rail trails....the lowest form of sno machining as far as I know....LOL...maybe I worry too much and hopefully I am wrong but with all the addition of abandoned rail beds being added I fear we might only be left with them some time in the future.
They might be great as an alternate trail to get you back in a hurry after a long day but that's there only real value but I certainly don't want them to disappear.[/QUOTE]

I agree with snoway Rail trails = boring, kind of like riding a sport bike down the freeway. Only fun if its over 100!

[QUOTE=Johnnie;20828]Reasons rail grades make great trails for all uses:

1) Never again do you have to worry about someone buying a segment of rail grade and cutting off the trail, it is now state owned. [COLOR="#FF0000"]Agree with this[/COLOR]

2) Grades make wonderful State Corridors. NST is now State Cooridor 7. WRST is now State Corridor 9.[COLOR="#FF0000"]Just like driving upnorth on I-43[/COLOR]

3) People use them more then any other single trail, in area. Ask a groomer driver who tries to groom a grade during the day. [COLOR="#FF0000"]Most people are lost in the woods and afraid of the wild animals [/COLOR]

4) With same traffic, straight trails always last longer then curvy hilly trails, where brakes and throttles are used more. [COLOR="#FF0000"]Very true most people can not ride a smooth corner[/COLOR]

5) Straight grades are safer to ride for families. They can easier see oncoming traffic. No hils or sharp corners. [COLOR="#FF0000"]Not so sure about being safer for families when the majority of the riders coming head on are not slowing down under 60 mph[/COLOR]

Like them or not there is more traffic on the grades then other trails. [COLOR="#FF0000"]More traffic on grades because most riders are out of shape, sleds are not setup to turn or they ride a sled to is too big to handle for them in the corners[/COLOR][/QUOTE]
tsg

Rail Trails.......

Post by tsg »

I agree with Johnnie on this: the NST, WRST, and others have proved valuable and serve a great purpose for snowmobiling. I have been riding the area for 25+ years, and the grades allow people to get to different riding areas more quickly (accessability vs. speed) and directly, whether you like them or not. Within Forest, Florence, Oconto, and Langlade Counties alone you can vary your rides and directions with more direct access. I think all true snowmobiliers would agree that riding all day on a grade is not that much fun, but being able to get to different locations more directly is definitely appealing to the masses. That is evident by the use.
uprider1100

Post by uprider1100 »

The grades are one thing I really enjoy about riding Forest county. I usually plan my trip to ride twisty trails and routes most of the day and when the day winds down and I'm getting tired and ready for an adult beverage I hit the freeway or grade and I'm back to our motel in no time. I definitely enjoy some of each.
snoway

Post by snoway »

[QUOTE=uprider1100;20847]The grades are one thing I really enjoy about riding Forest county. I usually plan my trip to ride twisty trails and routes most of the day and when the day winds down and I'm getting tired and ready for an adult beverage I hit the freeway or grade and I'm back to our motel in no time. I definitely enjoy some of each.[/QUOTE]

Ageed
snoway

Post by snoway »

[QUOTE=tsg;20842]I agree with Johnnie on this: the NST, WRST, and others have proved valuable and serve a great purpose for snowmobiling. I have been riding the area for 25+ years, and the grades allow people to get to different riding areas more quickly (accessability vs. speed) and directly, whether you like them or not. Within Forest, Florence, Oconto, and Langlade Counties alone you can vary your rides and directions with more direct access. I think all true snowmobiliers would agree that riding all day on a grade is not that much fun, but being able to get to different locations more directly is definitely appealing to the masses. That is evident by the use.[/QUOTE]

Well said....I use them to get to my favorite trails or to the UP where my best ridin buds camp is located.
10 years ago...not really possible to get all the way to places like Sidnaw, Bruces Crossing, Ishpaming, Gwinn etc and back in an easy, full day day of riding.
Right now we have the best of both worlds....I just hope that never changes.
ghostrider

Post by ghostrider »

[QUOTE=snoway;20853]Well said....I use them to get to my favorite trails or to the UP where my best ridin buds camp is located.
10 years ago...not really possible to get all the way to places like Sidnaw, Bruces Crossing, Ishpaming, Gwinn etc and back in an easy, full day day of riding.
Right now we have the best of both worlds....I just hope that never changes.[/QUOTE]

Agree with you fully!:thumbup: