Sled Insurance...

100 Mile Snow Safari General Chat
Chainlake

Post by Chainlake »

[QUOTE=Skip28;20411]Yeah - my agent explained the CC aspect to it way back when, and though we all understand the flaws of the CC's vs HP point of view in a world of 2 and 4 strokes mixed together, I've temporarily conceded that point of view with the thinking that trying to fight it is like jousting at windmills. None the less, it still does not really explain how my friend is getting a much lower rate for his Nytro and then Vector/now Viper.[/QUOTE]

While your premium does sound high, be sure you are comparing apples to apples with your friend. He may have a policy were the liability isn’t on the specific machine but extends from his home owner’s policy to cover liability on “toys”. That makes the sled/atv/motorcycle less costly but his home owners is higher. Also, Liability limits, medical payments, deductibles all make premiums vary considerably. He might have a low liability like $50k or something with a $1000 deductible. While it’s much cheaper, when it really hit’s the fan, its worthless insurance and you’re screwed.

We all work hard to have what we have. No matter what, make sure you protect yourself. $50K liability sounds like a lot of money until your throttle sticks in the parking lot of the fish-o-ree and your sled goes for a ride into the crowd at the meat raffle tent. $50k isn’t going to even cover one of the 2 guys getting a helicopter ride that day and your family is soon to be homeless.

Unfortunately, it’s usually the other way around, and we are the ones at the meat raffle tent and end up paying for others mistakes. So don’t scrimp on uninsured / underinsured coverage either. Why would you cover somebody else with more protection that you cover your own family with?

Just say’n
BadgerChad

CRZ...food for thought...

Post by BadgerChad »

[QUOTE=CRZ;20408]well,i have an 800+ credit score,zero claims in the last 10 yrs,have the minimum coverage required by my lender(300,000),been with the same company for at least 5 yrs with over 30 yrs riding experience and the cheapest i could find is just over 500 a yr,which is 100 a yr more than my truck insurance,and the truck is worth more than the sled and 400 more than my atv insurance,which has the same coverage..the other 4 0r 5 insurance companies wanted 2 to 3 hundred more a yr,i could go on about what i feel about this,but i don't need to shoot any government agents as they storm my house.[/QUOTE]

CRZ I don't want to get in a war with you on this, but believe it or not, not all insurance people/agents/companies are evil sasquatches out to take every dime you have and pay nothing in return at claim time. With that in mind, yes you've got some good things going for you. However, there are plenty of other factors that could go into your specific rate(some of which I mentioned, many that I haven't, and many that go well beyond the scope of what an agent will know...but an underwriter will).

Just some ideas, and none specific to you (in other words, I'm not reading anything into your comments)

How's your driving record? Even from stuff long ago?
Any youths in the household? (It doesn't matter even if they never, ever, ever touch the sled...their presence alone is enough to drive up rates)
What's the specific brand of your machine...remember the rates may be high through no fault of your own, but your fellow riders who maybe aren't as careful to secure their sleds from theft.
What county do you live in?
Where are machines stored? What type of construction? Age of construction? (Factors if these would pop as an add on to your homeowners).

There are literally hundreds of factors that can set rates, many of which are in your control, but quite a few that aren't. I'm trying to leave you with the impression that:
1. We're not all evil
2. Everyone's rates are going to be different, within reason
3. You're not being singled out, necessarily
4. There's a lot more to PROPER coverage than just rates alone.

Your best bet here? I know it might be like going to the dentist, but go talk to an agent in person (bias flag waving...use an independent agent that represents more than just a few companies)...let them review ALL of your coverages (not just the toys). You might be amazed at what you'll learn and find out. Ask the agent if s/he will tell you the truth if what you already have is the best to keep...a good agent will do that.

Again, just my view on things.

BC
BadgerChad

Grab an umbrella

Post by BadgerChad »

[QUOTE=Chainlake;20412]
We all work hard to have what we have. No matter what, make sure you protect yourself. $50K liability sounds like a lot of money until your throttle sticks in the parking lot of the fish-o-ree and your sled goes for a ride into the crowd at the meat raffle tent. $50k isn’t going to even cover one of the 2 guys getting a helicopter ride that day and your family is soon to be homeless.

Unfortunately, it’s usually the other way around, and we are the ones at the meat raffle tent and end up paying for others mistakes. So don’t scrimp on uninsured / underinsured coverage either. Why would you cover somebody else with more protection that you cover your own family with?

Just say’n[/QUOTE]
I couldn't agree more...in addition to regular coverage, an umbrella liability policy can be a great add-on. It's low cost and goes over and above what your base policy covers (subject to policy restrictions). My $1,000,000 umbrella costs me just over $120 per year...$10 a month is worth it !
snohawk

Post by snohawk »

[QUOTE=Skip28;20398]It's that time of year again (and as if today's snowstorm wasn't enough reminder!) ... the bill arrived to re-up my insurance for the coming season, and I am looking for feedback and/or advice...

I'm a married guy, mid 40's, clean driving record with great credit, yet I've been paying $600-$700 annually for insurance for my '11 Nytro. Admittedly, I do reduce my coverages in the off season to drive what I actually pay much lower, but frankly, that's a PITA, and I feel the policy should naturally reflect that one is not riding 8 months of the year. I have a friend of nearly identical demographics, who even rides the same machine as me (late model Nytro), rides in the same places, yet pays LESS than me for his Nytro AND Viper combined! And, he does not have to fuss with off season/on season coverage changes. The last irony is that he has the same ins. company - what gives? I've pushed my agent on this, and he can offer no satisfactory response. The only small detail I can think of is that my friend has an IL address compared to my WI address. (And we all know that EVERYONE in IL rides their sleds in WI anyway!)

Now, I've done just a small amount of shopping on this rate, but I've had little luck finding much of a rate reduction, and I can't help but feel like I am getting royally screwed! So ... my questions are these: Are these rates I am paying actually pretty typical, and I am just bitter and cranky for no reason - what have been your experiences? And, if not typical, does anyone have an agent they'd be willing to reccomend for a quote?

Thanks in advance![/QUOTE]

Maybe I shouldn't have sent the video of you riding to your insurance company! LOL You should check with All State insurance. I was paying that same amount on my sled before I switched . Now all 5 sleds are less than what I paid for just one. My old comoany wanted 800 a year to insure my GSXR not its 130
xcsp

Post by xcsp »

Here's a insurance guy who has been known to provide very good rates, especially for the 4-stroke owners. Has been mentioned on other sites and many happy customers.

Met Life is the insurance company.
Attachments
Sled Insure.jpg
Sled Insure.jpg (61.86 KiB) Viewed 2282 times
Skip28

Post by Skip28 »

[QUOTE=xcsp;20441]Here's a insurance guy who has been known to provide very good rates, especially for the 4-stroke owners. Has been mentioned on other sites and many happy customers.[/QUOTE]

Thanks so much for the tip! I called Andrew, and he was everything you described - a fellow rider who "gets" it! He's given me a very satisfactory quote from a reputable insurer which will literally save me hundreds of dollars a year - enough to pay for a typical season's gas and even some of my trail food! His agency is not far from me as he's just over the border in northern IL. However, he did mention that he insures sleds from northern IL and all throughout WI. We're just now finalizing details and I would recommend to anyone else looking for a policy to give his agency a call. Thanks again, xcsp!

Meanwhile, Snow hawk, your editorial comments about my riding are duly noted!;)