Dads not very happy

100 Mile Snow Safari General Chat
snohawk

Post by snohawk »

[QUOTE=Chainlake;20002]"Ride Right and stay in control" is not enough. We saw 3 actual wrecks (1 roll over, 1 corner overshot into the woods and 1 fence post vs sled) and twice was within inches of being clipped by on coming sleds that were way beyond being in control. One of them on a long strait. [/QUOTE]

It is the leaders responsibly to lead the group so that everyone comes home without crashes. The leader should only ride at a speed no faster than the slowest rider, without making that rider feel pressured to rider above their ability. The slower riders should always ride up at the front behind the leader because the pace gets faster the further back in the group.
We had a group pass us this last weekend and the riders at the end of the group (not as experienced) could not stay on their side of the trail and almost took my wife out. My wife cut to the right more but was already at the edge, so we had to dig the sled out of the snow.

If you need to ride down the middle of the trail or go over the center of the trail, maybe you are riding too fast for the conditions of the trail, your sled setup is not working, you don't have the ability to maintain the speed of the leader or you just don't give a shit about anyone but yourself.
briane

Post by briane »

[QUOTE=snohawk;20004]It is the leaders responsibly to lead the group so that everyone comes home without crashes. The leader should only ride at a speed no faster than the slowest rider, without making that rider feel pressured to rider above their ability. The slower riders should always ride up at the front behind the leader because the pace gets faster the further back in the group.
We had a group pass us this last weekend and the riders at the end of the group (not as experienced) could not stay on their side of the trail and almost took my wife out. My wife cut to the right more but was already at the edge, so we had to dig the sled out of the snow.

If you need to ride down the middle of the trail or go over the center of the trail, maybe you are riding too fast for the conditions of the trail, your sled setup is not working, you don't have the ability to maintain the speed of the leader or you just don't give a shit about anyone but yourself.[/QUOTE]

True True.
snojunkie

Post by snojunkie »

I think this has been 1 of the worst years for people riding on the wrong side of the trail. I've witnessed people on our own club trip doing this, where I reached out to them to explain the dangerous situation they are creating. I think as a group we had better start figuring out how to make people AWARE of this problem, because once we start KILLING each other at a greater pace the forces that "be" will step in to help solve the problem and WE are not going to like the way that THEY help US save US from OURSELVES. I myself like to ride at a faster pace, but I'm always making adjustments to my sled so that I can ride the way I like, yet stay to the right side of the trail. If I can't stay on my side of the trail I slow down. (what a concept)
Chainlake

Post by Chainlake »

Just thinking out loud....

I know signage is expensive and involves maintenance but a few more signs in the twisty trails that say "beware of blind corners, slow and keep right" might help to teach and remind.
snohawk

Post by snohawk »

[QUOTE=snojunkie;20007] I myself like to ride at a faster pace, but I'm always making adjustments to my sled so that I can ride the way I like, yet stay to the right side of the trail. If I can't stay on my side of the trail I slow down. (what a concept)[/QUOTE]
Just think, if everyone rode around in Prius mode (economy) everyone would be on their side of the trail. :lol:
snojunkie

Post by snojunkie »

When you ride with Pols. it's not hard to stay in Prius mode.:wink:
snohawk

Post by snohawk »

[QUOTE=snojunkie;20041]When you ride with Pols. it's not hard to stay in Prius mode.:wink:[/QUOTE]

IDK - That was before I got the new fuel pump, now both cylinders will get fuel when I am over 1/4 throttle.:erm: