Armstrong Creek Swamp precautions

Grooming Reports and Trail Conditions
CHOPPER 3

Armstrong Creek Swamp precautions

Post by CHOPPER 3 »

Good Morning folks , its great to be getting back in the swing of our favorite season ,but we've got some serious concerns with our swamps in the Armstrong Creek sections . As previously stated by Curly , Johnnie, Jim and others ,our swamps are not going to be crossed by grooming equipment for another few weeks provided the cold hangs around .. Our swamp North of Bensen Lake Rd is still soft but getting better daily , use caution in that area as we have done some boulder removal in that area this summer. To the North out of Armstrong , the swamp crossing at Gudowicz Lane is now a frozen lake and we haven't crossed the short swamp across Hwy 101 with the Tucker yet either . Continuing North and West behind lakes 8&9 the long swamp before Nelligan pond is safe for sleds but we will be bypassing that section for sometime with our equipment
. The "hole" at the end of that section has been filled with our usual Tucker crossing mechanism and caution should be excersized there until we get more snow . Sorry for the novel , but these concerns should not be taken lightly. Be careful out there and please expect to see our equipment around every corner , we are continuing to improve the trails during this early time of the season . Its good to be back on the tracks :)
Skip28

Post by Skip28 »

Question for Chopper / Jim & all the rest of the 100 Miler groomer drivers:
Seeing as trails are "officially" open, would you prefer....
a) To see riders avoid these swampy sections of trail? OR
b) Is it helpful for you if the swampy sections get "ridden in" so to speak - will riding help accelerate freezing (a notion other clubs sometimes seem to promote)?

It's an honest question - I hold the work you guys do in high regard, and do not want to make your jobs harder! If the answer is "b", does there remain any sections of swamp which are perhaps too deep and should be avoided regardless? (I only know the trails in fully frozen mode, thus I don't really know where the swamps are and are not,)

Heading up this weekend, expecting early season riding, and hoping for the best!
snoway

Post by snoway »

If i have any icecubes in my drink cup when I get to these swampholes, I will dump them in.:thumbup:
Jim
Site Admin

Post by Jim »

[QUOTE=Skip28;23549]Question for Chopper / Jim & all the rest of the 100 Miler groomer drivers:
Seeing as trails are "officially" open, would you prefer....
a) To see riders avoid these swampy sections of trail? OR
b) Is it helpful for you if the swampy sections get "ridden in" so to speak - will riding help accelerate freezing (a notion other clubs sometimes seem to promote)?

It's an honest question - I hold the work you guys do in high regard, and do not want to make your jobs harder! If the answer is "b", does there remain any sections of swamp which are perhaps too deep and should be avoided regardless? (I only know the trails in fully frozen mode, thus I don't really know where the swamps are and are not,)

Heading up this weekend, expecting early season riding, and hoping for the best![/QUOTE]

B) If you can ride them to help pack the snow down, it is VERY HELPFUL. But please be extremely careful... I wouldn't want anybody to have any problems in doing so. Thank you! :smile:
CHOPPER 3

Swamp issues

Post by CHOPPER 3 »

The answer is "b" . Although I never encourage riders to cross open water or questionable ice
. It is a ride at your own risk scenario , and if you feel comfortable with your level of confidence pack them and pack them WIDE , think of the Tucker tracks and where the Sno Cat rides . We will get there either way but this definitely speeds up the process . Tucker is 12,500 lbs , my Imp is 3,000 lbs and most of your sleds are 500-800 lbs . What I'd like to see is the Fat Lady , on a Raider pulling a wagon of cheeseburgers and bon-bons ...... "Yargh , Mule " ! ! !
Jim
Site Admin

Post by Jim »

I do like cheeseburgers! :burger::burger: