Travel WI Snow Conditions.

100 Mile Snow Safari General Chat
snoway

Travel WI Snow Conditions.

Post by snoway »

Just an FYI. The Travel Wisconsin website is still showin Forest County as being open.
Last updated 3/8/18.
I personally like the idea of having all of the state's trails current conditions on a single website but it can only be reliable when kept up to date.
Thanks again for a great year.
Jim
Site Admin

Post by Jim »

[QUOTE=snoway;23870]I personally like the idea of having all of the state's trails current conditions on a single website but it can only be reliable when kept up to date.
Thanks again for a great year.[/QUOTE]Copy that! That's why it's best to go straight to the source! :thebomb:
CRZ

Post by CRZ »

their current trail reports always seem to be a week behind, actual current conditions
snoway

Post by snoway »

[QUOTE=Jim;23871]Copy that! That's why it's best to go straight to the source! :thebomb:[/QUOTE]

TW can't replace this site, JIM:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

But if a DNR agent stops a rider on a closed trail???? and they get a citation, How are they supposed to know what website has the AUTHORITY in court???...:confused:...not everyone checks in here or FB for that matter. I don't use FB myself.
Many riders go through 2 or more counties in a days ride. No one wants to hear of someone hitting a closed gate.
snoway

Post by snoway »

[QUOTE=CRZ;23873]their current trail reports always seem to be a week behind, actual current conditions[/QUOTE]
There are many counties reporting as of today.
Can't be up to date without current input from each counties clubs trail boss. It is their responsibility. The trail closing was on here the 6th...today is 6 days later. If you want to close rideable trails with gates, best be getting the info out in as many web corners as you can....or does posting in the weekly local paper get you clear of all liability?

Travel WI website is sponsored by the WI Tourism Bureau. It has the basic info for the entire state, county by county on ONE site. I can't think of a better way to get info out to the user.

MI has the MSA website which also works well when updated.

TWSC isn't meant to replace or will it replace this awesome site.:thumbup:
Jim
Site Admin

Post by Jim »

[QUOTE=snoway;23875]Can't be up to date without current input from each counties clubs trail boss. It is their responsibility. [/QUOTE]
I disagree. It is the REPORTING PARTY's responsibility to ensure they are reporting the correct information! The Trail Bosses have NO IDEA who may be trying to list conditions. The 100 Mile Snow Safari trail bosses report our conditions on our sites ([url]www.100MileSnowSafari.org[/url] and [url]www.facebook.com/100MileSnowSafari[/url]) ONLY. Some of us barely have time to to report here, let alone trying to find and update someone else's report. If you want to know what our current conditions are, you need to come straight to the source: HERE! Travel WI and anybody else that is trying to report our conditions, need to do the same. :thebomb:
Jim
Site Admin

Post by Jim »

[QUOTE=snoway]TW can't replace this site, JIM:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:[/QUOTE]
Thank you!

[quote]
But if a DNR agent stops a rider on a closed trail???? and they get a citation, How are they supposed to know what website has the AUTHORITY in court???...:confused:...not everyone checks in here or FB for that matter. I don't use FB myself.
Many riders go through 2 or more counties in a days ride. No one wants to hear of someone hitting a closed gate.[/quote]

You know what they say: "Ignorance of the law is no excuse". I wouldn't doubt there is something in the snowmobile laws, that places this responsibility directly upon the rider.
I Doo

Post by I Doo »

It's the riders responsibility to make sure the trails your on are open. Best place for that is the local clubs web site or Facebook page. Our county has a site which is to the min. updated. When it is late in the season riders have to do a little more digging!!
snoway

Post by snoway »

[QUOTE=Jim;23880]I disagree. It is the REPORTING PARTY's responsibility to ensure they are reporting the correct information! The Trail Bosses have NO IDEA who may be trying to list conditions. The 100 Mile Snow Safari trail bosses report our conditions on our sites ([url]www.100MileSnowSafari.org[/url] and [url]www.facebook.com/100MileSnowSafari[/url]) ONLY. Some of us barely have time to to report here, let alone trying to find and update someone else's report. If you want to know what our current conditions are, you need to come straight to the source: HERE! Travel WI and anybody else that is trying to report our conditions, need to do the same. :thebomb:[/QUOTE]

You certainly know more about who the go to guy is in Forest County. And I may have misspoke when I used term "trail boss" instead of County Alliance president/chairman...whatever the title is. And as in other counties, I imagine that all clubs report to the F.C. Alliance and then decisions are made, correct?
If you go to TWSC you will see that it isn't a website like this where anyone can register, sign in and give a report.
Someone from each county has to be cleared as the spokesman/report giver.
Reports were given regularly all season and the seasons prior to this including Forest County.

As far as the 100 miler club reporting here, all well and good but when the entire county closes I just found it odd that whoever has been reporting on Travel WI all season long didn't post up the closing date. No harm to this site intended....as in my initial post....just an FYI.

As you know I think this site is as awesome as the F.C. trails...... but Travel WI is a great single rescource for sledders looking for conditions and destinations in every county of this great state.... can't imagine why any rational person would prefer jumping around on 10 different FB pages and or websites when they can open a single page....AND THEN go to a specific site to get the local scoop.
snoway

Post by snoway »

[QUOTE=I Doo;23882]It's the riders responsibility to make sure the trails your on are open. Best place for that is the local clubs web site or Facebook page. Our county has a site which is to the min. updated. When it is late in the season riders have to do a little more digging!![/QUOTE]

Why should it be a secret you have to "dig" for?....If you want to be large and in charge then act like it and get the info out there. Making the decisions to open and close as well as reporting any temp. closures or hazards is one of the main reasons behind the clubs report to the County Alliances.

Boggles my mind to think we need to jump around searching for info in this day and age when that info can be found on a single website like Travel WI.

As far as not having the time to post a report,...i type with 2 fingers and doubt it would take more than a minute to say CLOSED!!!LOL