Wabeno to Munisig

100 Mile Snow Safari General Chat
kevinj

Wabeno to Munisig

Post by kevinj »

I am riding Wabeno to Munising on Monday 2/5. My planned route is the NST up to Iron River then over to Crystal Falls. This part I am familiar with. The part I am concerned about is going east from Crystel Falls to Sagola. I just read that the Chippewa Sno Kats of Crystal Falls just groomed this trail for the first time on 1/18. I know the new snow yesterday will help, but the warm Friday will not.

I am just wondering if anyone is familiar with the Crystal Falls to Sagola to Gwinn route and what any opinions are on the trails. I would really prefer to ride to Munising instead of trailering.

One other question is the gas station in Sagola requires a 1 mile ditch ride (unmarked trail) along M-95 from the trail. Is this an easy riding ditch or is it going to be more like snocross with a higher level of difficulty. The guys that are riding are experienced trail riders. Can I make it from Crystal Falls to Gwinn on a tank of gas (all sleds are 600 SDI/EFI)

Thanks to any and all who can provide input and or comments.

Thanks.
Kevin
CRZ

Post by CRZ »

i rode crystal falls to felch saturday, the stretch between crystal falls and sagola was groomed and in pretty good shape,sagola to felch had some stretches the weren't groomed because of some swamps, but i did run into a club member from the felch area and they said they were hoping to groom that section this week. i believe you can gas up in felch,not sure what the mirage from there to munising is but the trail sign says 93 miles to marquette from felch
packerlandrider

Post by packerlandrider »

Have never personally ridden the trails between Crystal Falls and Gwinn, but according to the maps provided on the msasnow website, Crystal Falls to Gwinn is 75 miles via 16-5-32-33.
snoway

Post by snoway »

[QUOTE=packerlandrider;23671]Have never personally ridden the trails between Crystal Falls and Gwinn, but according to the maps provided on the msasnow website, Crystal Falls to Gwinn is 75 miles via 16-5-32-33.[/QUOTE]

Done that route a few times with wife. Gas up in Sagola. (The ditch riding is short...no big deal)....take a leak, grab some goodies and head to Gwinn from there via 5, 32 and 33 as packer said.....(nothing in between) Gas and pitstop in Gwinn. Then onto Munising on trail 8 which is mostly rr grade.

6-7 hours....260 miles from Laona, WI.....that was before the direct connect NST to MI trail 2.

In Sagola you will cross 95 and go straight a short ways and then turn left along a fence line to get to ditch trail for gas......at least a couple years ago it was that way.

That being said, you can make it from C.F. to Gwinn on a tank....about 80-90 miles....Gas in C.F. is either up an alley to one station (I think), or the one we use is a couple miles around town to the BP.
kevinj

Post by kevinj »

This is great info and I knew I would be able to get it here. Thanks to everyone.

I think the BP in Crystal Falls would be the easiest since we would be coming from the west. If I recall, it is a side spur trail that comes in from the north side behind the building. I see if I don't eat breakfast in Laona, I can get to Fob's Restaurant right across from the BP.

I did here from the Crystal Falls Sno Kats club. They stated that the marked spur trail to the gas station is no longer there due to closure by a farmer. This is why you need to ride the ditch along M95. Sounds like an easy ride or a non-issue with Gwinn being less than 100 miles.

Glad to here about the Trail 16 to Sagola. Hopefully the turn onto trail 5 north is before the majority of the ungroomed swamps.

I have also used this site to help determine mileage.
[url]http://trailgenius.com/trail-genius-map ... -county-mi[/url]

Again. Thank you for all of the info.
Kevin
snoway

Post by snoway »

FWIW....

You don't have to go to Iron R if you don't want to. NST cross the river into MI onto tr. 2.Go east on 2 a mile or so and then north on the trail to George Young. Keep going past G Y to 16.
kevinj

Post by kevinj »

I was wondering about the short cut, but based on all of the maps that I have they all showed something different. I've been through there before once but I could not remember where the NST comes into Trail 2. This will help. Thanks.
snoway

Post by snoway »

[QUOTE=kevinj;23679]I was wondering about the short cut, but based on all of the maps that I have they all showed something different. I've been through there before once but I could not remember where the NST comes into Trail 2. This will help. Thanks.[/QUOTE]

About 3 or 4 seasons ago the north end of the NST was improved with a bridge directly north over the border.
Previous to that you took trail 6 east to the bridge in Pentoga. That route is still open.
CRZ

Post by CRZ »

[QUOTE=snoway;23678]FWIW....

You don't have to go to Iron R if you don't want to. NST cross the river into MI onto tr. 2.Go east on 2 a mile or so and then north on the trail to George Young. Keep going past G Y to 16.[/QUOTE]

trail 116 i believe
snoway

Post by snoway »

Yes..... nice trail!
Probably the best route if you plan on a gas stop inC.F.

[url]https://msasnow.org/trail-report/[/url]....click on balloons for trail reports and PDF maps.