Tell Us about your Sled

100 Mile Snow Safari General Chat
snohawk

Tell Us about your Sled

Post by snohawk »

I thought this would be interesting to hear from the snowmobilers that actually bought and ride the sled
instead of a magazine editor telling all of us that this model is the greatest sled that ever hit the trail.
I read a lot of articles on Dike Bikes and if the bike does not perform well, they usually tell the reader about it instead
of saying it is the greatest bike on the planet. With that said the dirt bike magazine editors will then tell the reader what
it would take to make it perform better.

So let’s hear about your current sled. Remember, this post was not intended for others to bash any other riders machine but to learn about all of the makes. Not one sled out there is perfect and we all are brand loyal. :thumbup:

Make:
Model:
Year:
Current mileage:
3 things that you like about your sled:
3 areas or items that need improvement:
Have you had any repairs? Type and mileage.

Hope to hear from many!!
snohawk

Post by snohawk »

Make: Polaris

Model: Rush 600 ProR

Year: 2011
Current mileage: 9300

3 things that you like about your sled: 1. The light weight feeling. 2. The suspension in the rough trail.s 3. The weight transfer.

3 areas or items that need improvement: 1. Storage (lack of), can't even bring any extra tools or first aid kit. 2. Front cooler gets packed with ice if you bast a snow bank or drift.
3. Runs hot on hard pack trails when the temps are below 20

Have you had any repairs? Type and mileage. Fuel pump bad at 4500 miles
xcsp

Post by xcsp »

[B]Make:[/B] Ski Doo

[B]Model:[/B] 900ACE GSX

[B] Year:[/B] 2014

[B]Current mileage:[/B] 2800

[B] 3 things that you like about your sled[/B]:Quiet, No-smoke 4-stroke triple engine, Excellent fuel mileage 20+ mpg average.

[B]3 areas or items that need improvement:[/B] Would like to have a chaincase drain plug, not having to "burp" the fuel tank to have a full tank of gas, neither which are deal-breakers, can't think of a third item at this time.

[B]Have you had any repairs? Type and mileage.[/B]
No repairs
SnoBird888

Post by SnoBird888 »

Make: Yamaha
Model: nytro xtx
Year: 2009
Current mileage: 7800
3 things that you like about your sled:
Power, reliablity, deeper snow capable

3 areas or items that need improvement:
power to ground needs help so getting studs, weight reduction up front even though its not a deal breaker for me and, better top end pull to hang with the 800's.

Have you had any repairs? Type and mileage.
More like Maintenance, bushings, slides(added 4th wheel and larger wheels so problem no longer exists, ball joints, original belt was getting old, breakdown wise its never left me down, just needs wear items replaced.

Hope to hear from many!!
Skip28

Post by Skip28 »

[B]Make[/B]: Yamaha

[B]Model[/B]: FX Nytro, 121" track w/ 144 studs

[B] Year[/B]: 2011

[B]Current mileage[/B]: 6045 (that will change by sunday :biggrin:)

[B] 3 things that you like about your sled[/B]:
- Super reliable (I'm NOT a mechanic!)
- 4-stroke ease of operation (reg gas, no injection oil, etc.)
- More than enough grunty power to satisfy my tastes.
(I could easily say more than 3 - though it is not perfect, I really love my sled!)

[B]3 areas or items that need improvement[/B]:
- Can be pushy in the corners, depending on conditions - 144 studs do not help (though I could surely improve this if I knew how to properly set up my suspension instead of guessing). I want to put on dual keel Tuner skis for next season...
- Grip heaters do not work consistently/well
- Tends to overheat in poor snow conditions (though I flushed/replaced my coolant in the offseason, and this season has been temp. light free even in the spots that previously gave me trouble!!!)

[B]Have you had any repairs[/B]? Type and mileage.
Only one "unusual" repair, but one which affects most Yami's, is the quick degradation of the OEM exhaust donuts. I had mine replaced at 4.5K miles. From what I read, and hear from other late model Yami friends, 4-5K miles seems to be typical for this.
CHOPPER 3

Post by CHOPPER 3 »

Make : Artic Cat
Model : Jag 340 F/C
Year : 79
Mileage : 4,468
3 things I like : electric start , oil injection , no computers

Areas of improvement : lighting & stiffer hitch

Other comments : My sled has been paid off over 30 years ago , and still purring -
Nashotah7

Post by Nashotah7 »

Make: Ski-Doo

Model: Renegade Adrenaline 800 E-Tec

Year: 2011

Current Milage: 7000 and some change

3 Things you like about your sled: Electric start, Reverse, X chassis (New to me sled this year):thumbup:

3 Areas or items that need improvement: Lighting, handle bar riser, storage

Have you had any repairs? Type and Milage: One small bogey wheel, 6300 miles (approx.)
unlocal

Post by unlocal »

We bought two new 2003 Polaris 550 fan-cooled Classics and they now have a little over 9,000 mi on each. Mostly had to do normal maint items - only two belts, four sets of plugs and a couple of shaft and chassis bearings. Still using the second AGM batteries (that I tend to baby during the off season) I realize that the air-cooled motors ain't that sophisticated or powerful but they are simple to maintain. We usually average about 15mpg on mostly trail and lakes riding. Replaced the dual rail carbide runners twice and the track slides once so far. As you probably guessed we just putt along at 35 or 40 mph. (A lot of you have probably passed us out on the trails lol).:biggrin: Always use the cheapest oil and no ethanol gas. Overall they've been gr8 sleds. Love the electronic reverse:thumbup:

Area of improvement: more places to put stuff

We also have a pair of (bought new) 1980 Yami 440 Exciters as extras for visitors and I'll sum them up by saying they refuse to die!:eek:
SnoBird888

Post by SnoBird888 »

[QUOTE=Skip28;21339][B]Make[/B]: Yamaha

[B]Model[/B]: FX Nytro, 121" track w/ 144 studs

[B]Year[/B]: 2011

[B]Current mileage[/B]: 6045 (that will change by sunday :biggrin:)

[B]3 things that you like about your sled[/B]:
- Super reliable (I'm NOT a mechanic!)
- 4-stroke ease of operation (reg gas, no injection oil, etc.)
- More than enough grunty power to satisfy my tastes.
(I could easily say more than 3 - though it is not perfect, I really love my sled!)

[B]3 areas or items that need improvement[/B]:
- Can be pushy in the corners, depending on conditions - 144 studs do not help (though I could surely improve this if I knew how to properly set up my suspension instead of guessing). I want to put on dual keel Tuner skis for next season...
- Grip heaters do not work consistently/well
- Tends to overheat in poor snow conditions (though I flushed/replaced my coolant in the offseason, and this season has been temp. light free even in the spots that previously gave me trouble!!!)

[B]Have you had any repairs[/B]? Type and mileage.
Only one "unusual" repair, but one which affects most Yami's, is the quick degradation of the OEM exhaust donuts. I had mine replaced at 4.5K miles. From what I read, and hear from other late model Yami friends, 4-5K miles seems to be typical for this.[/QUOTE]

If your steering effort is pretty easy loosen the front track shock. You can go as loose until it starts to rattle then one turn tighter. will gain more preload on the front end so teh carbides dig. Dual keel tuner skies will help too and maybe get u somewere in the middle. dual 4" carbides. buy aftermarket not the ones yamaha sells. they burn away like butter!
Skip28

Post by Skip28 »

I've been playing with the front clickers a bit, but between the sled, and varying trail conditions, there just seem to be too many variables to get a good feel for what turns up/down are doing. I'll gove the suggestion for the rear shock a try! As for carbides, I've been running 8" Bergstrom Triple Points since '12 ... 4,500 miles on them, and they're still pretty decent. If I don't replace my ski's, I'd get the Bergstoms again!