Tell Us about your Sled

100 Mile Snow Safari General Chat
xcsp

Post by xcsp »

[QUOTE=SnoBird888;21404]Yeah I would have both checked anyways if I was in there at 26k miles!

You have a 900ace correct?

Do you feel the 900ace is front heavy and has a planted feel like a yamadozer or still like the older ones with a more floating feel from not being rider forward?[/QUOTE]

I have a 900ACE, doesn't feel any heavier than some of my previous sleds- Polaris Shift 600, XCSP500. Feels good to me. I'd compare it to the XCSP500, similar top speed.

Had a Yamaha Apex, went back to Polaris for a few years with the Shifts, nice sled, great engine, but wanted to go back to a 4-stroke but nothing heavy like the Apex.

I like the 900 ALOT, excellent trail sled, fast enough, unless you run with big iron on a lake.

Get a chance to ride one, best way to decide if it, or any sled for that matter, is for you.
snoway

Post by snoway »

200 lbs diff from a doo 4 stroke to a Vector?....Lol...its a modern marvel....I was wondering how long it would take for a Doo faithful to screw up another "tell us about your sled" topic....LOL....the OP probly should have added..."without ripping on Yamahas"...LOL...it never fails.
Chainlake

Post by Chainlake »

[QUOTE=snoway;21411]200 lbs diff from a doo 4 stroke to a Vector?....Lol...its a modern marvel....I was wondering how long it would take for a Doo faithful to screw up another "tell us about your sled" topic....LOL....the OP probly should have added..."without ripping on Yamahas"...LOL...it never fails.[/QUOTE]

You are correct, I am off with the 200# statement. The 06 vector RS GT I owned was 545# Dry. My 2015 MXZ is 420# Dry. Difference being 125# not 200# as I overstated stated in error. It was a quick estimate made from memory that was off. I had it in my head that the vector was 599# but that might be a wet weight. Sorry. My net point is that there is an appreciable weight difference.

As for Doo faithful ripping on Yamaha... that's defensiveness on your end. Did you read my entire post? I also stated that the new vectors are a great trail package and that the Yamaha 4 stroke motor is a winner.

Personally, can't stand the "Ford vs. Chevy" debate. Any manufacture can build a great sled, or a piece of crap. I have owned and rode them both. Brass tax is no one sled is perfect for everyone. They all weigh different, ride different and handle different. Plenty of happy guys out there that went from Doo to Yamaha (I was one of them) back when Doo was way behind in 4 stroke tec. But things change.

Don't bother flaming me back, just like this season, I'm done with it....
tsg

Post by tsg »

Another "winner" response by the know-it-all on the website, ...WAY, or better yet, only "his WAY is the right way". Agree with Chainlake, done with the nonsense replies just like the snowmobile season.
Jim
Site Admin

Post by Jim »

You kids play nice now! ;-)
snoway

Post by snoway »

[QUOTE=Chainlake;21441]You are correct, I am off with the 200# statement. The 06 vector RS GT I owned was 545# Dry. My 2015 MXZ is 420# Dry. Difference being 125# not 200# as I overstated stated in error. It was a quick estimate made from memory that was off. I had it in my head that the vector was 599# but that might be a wet weight. Sorry. My net point is that there is an appreciable weight difference.

As for Doo faithful ripping on Yamaha... that's defensiveness on your end. Did you read my entire post? I also stated that the new vectors are a great trail package and that the Yamaha 4 stroke motor is a winner.

Personally, can't stand the "Ford vs. Chevy" debate. Any manufacture can build a great sled, or a piece of crap. I have owned and rode them both. Brass tax is no one sled is perfect for everyone. They all weigh different, ride different and handle different. Plenty of happy guys out there that went from Doo to Yamaha (I was one of them) back when Doo was way behind in 4 stroke tec. But things change.

Don't bother flaming me back, just like this season, I'm done with it....[/QUOTE]

OK educate me here....what 4 stroke model Ski doo are you comparing to the Vector...600 ACE....900 ACE or an MXZ which is a 2 stroke....I think,....unless it is a trim level on an ACE.

I know the Yamahas weigh more than a 600 ACE, 900 ACE or 1200 DOO but I doubt the 200#'s was some innocent mistake and it wouldn't have been corrected if I didn't point it out.

I also don't believe ANY doo 4 stroke comes in at 420#'s....there 2 strokes don't even come in that light especially after they get the needed factory reinforcement to keep them from folding.

When the 1200 was introed I recall it was said to be 20#'s lighter than the Yamaha Nytro..... so about 50#'s lighter than a Vector.
HP wise a Vector should be compared to a 1200...NOT a low powered 600 or even 900ACE and def not a 2 stroke.

BTW...your 2015.5 Idog 600 2 stroke etec comes to the plate at a claimed 470#

I'm never always right but if you think some 200# lighter claim should just be swallowed, I can't flame you anymore than you flame yourself

I can only assume that the term "flame" means the need to be corrected.

Good day and Happy trails, ski-Doo faithful!:biggrin:
kevinj

Post by kevinj »

Time to get this back on track.

I am going to include my previous sled as well.

Previous Sled
Make: Arctic Cat
Model: Sabercat 600 EFI (Batteryless)
Year: 2004

Current mileage: Sold it at 11,100 in Oct '14 (New owner still riding it)

3 things that you like about your sled:
1) Batteryless EFI (covers several other +'s)
2) Low center of gravity
3) Never left me stranded

3 areas or items that need improvement:
1) Oil consumption(even turned it back every year for the first 3 years)
2) The switches for the Hand/Thumb Warmers
3) The plug for ethanol vs non-ethanol gas usage

Have you had any repairs? Type and mileage.
Just general stuff like bearings, plugs, belts, hand warmers. Still had 150psi in both sides when I sold it.

-------------------------------------------------

New Sled
Make: Arctic Cat
Model: ZR 5000 LXR
Year: 2015

Current mileage: 1730

3 things that you like about your sled:
1) Electric Start - First time I have not had to pull on a rope in my entire life to start a sled
2) Handling - Factory set up makes handling great for me; I might add a little more ski pressure but
otherwise great.
3) Comfortable ride - it was like therapy for an injured back. There was one day I thought I would not be
able to ride since I could barely move, but getting on the sled somehow eased the pain; maybe just the
riding position.

3 areas or items that need improvement:
1) Changing the oil - Its pretty labor intensive having to remove the entire headlight pod
2) Factory trunk bag / storage - Not a lot of room
3) Wind protection (Windshield is fine; its the side wind on the legs) - I see Arctic Cat has realized this and
is now offering aftermarket wind deflectors.

Have you had any repairs? Type and mileage.
500 mile break-in oil change and inspection
snoway

Post by snoway »

[QUOTE=Chainlake;21441]You are correct, I am off with the 200# statement. The 06 vector RS GT I owned was 545# Dry. My 2015 MXZ is 420# Dry. Difference being 125# not 200# as I overstated stated in error. It was a quick estimate made from memory that was off. I had it in my head that the vector was 599# but that might be a wet weight. Sorry. My net point is that there is an appreciable weight difference.

Don't bother flaming me back, just like this season, I'm done with it....[/QUOTE]

Well, 2 stabs at posting the correct weight and you still have it waaaaay wrong.
According to your Ski-Doo website;

2 cylinder 600ACE Renegade.....475#....70#'s lighter than Vector.....NOT 200#....NOT 125#....75#'s less and 60 hp less as well.....LOL

Heres a few others for future reference;

2016 Blizzard with the 129" tracks.....

900ACE.......507#....38# less than Vector.....30 HP less
1200 etec....527#....18# less than Vector.....10 HP more (maybe)

The Ski-Doo 4 strokes are fine machines, but get real when you start out saying whats good about your sled by slamming another brand..."Yamadozers"...Really?

Having said all this....you are correct that in certain snow conditions the Yamahas can wear some folks out on twisty trails if not set up right.

To anyone considering a Vector or Apex, I would strongly recommend the 2012 and newer Vector and the 2011 and newer Apex because the power steering.
Keemez

Post by Keemez »

[QUOTE=snoway;21462]To anyone considering a Vector or Apex, I would strongly recommend the 2012 and newer Vector and the 2011 and newer Apex because the power steering.[/QUOTE]

I haven't gotten a chance to actually ride one of these yet but the reviews are pretty unanimous- people approve. If anybody with actual experience riding one can chime in, I'd like to hear it.
xcsp

Post by xcsp »

[QUOTE=Keemez;21463]I haven't gotten a chance to actually ride one of these yet but the reviews are pretty unanimous- people approve. If anybody with actual experience riding one can chime in, I'd like to hear it.[/QUOTE]

Would be interesting to ride a new '16 Yamaha Vector with the power steering, and the 129 SingleShot rear suspension. I haven't ridden a Yamaha since my '06 Apex.