Corridor 9 -Trail north of hwy 8

100 Mile Snow Safari General Chat
retrocat

Corridor 9 -Trail north of hwy 8

Post by retrocat »

Does the trail that runs north of hwy 8 thru Crandon still run on the side of Railroad Ave? If so, do you still have to cross over those nasty railroad tracks or have the tracks been removed? If the tracks have been removed, does the trail now run on the grade as it does south of hwy 8? Thanks for any info.
Johnnie

Post by Johnnie »

Tracks removed, recently. Not a trail......yet!!!!
retrocat

Post by retrocat »

Thanks very much!!! We are glad to not have to cross that particular railroad track crossing! We will definitely stay on the marked trail and stay off that "not yet a trail" grade.
Thanks for all your Great Grooming year after year!!!
jakerides

Crandon trail

Post by jakerides »

The tracks are out and the old railroad grade from 8 to the Trolly Car shop is signed. It has not been approved as a trail yet but it will be groomed soon. Grooming was delayed due to a trailer and truck blocking the groomer from going through, they just moved them but plowed right down to the rock bed to get at them. We will not be able to groom that area untill we get 6 to 8" of snow.
It may take another year to get this approved as a legal trail extension.

Wayne
retrocat

Post by retrocat »

:oThanks very much for that information! Much appreciated for your reply! We did see the LMT's groomed that area and thank you to the groomer drivers who spend long hours grooming for some great trails.:smile:
northwoods_dude

Post by northwoods_dude »

[QUOTE=Johnnie;20803]Tracks removed, recently. Not a trail......yet!!!![/QUOTE]

Now we just need them to remove the tracks from goodman west to rhinelander :biggrin::coolcat:

We would have another great trail you could really open up that throttle on :wink:
snoway

Post by snoway »

Rail trails....the lowest form of sno machining as far as I know....LOL...maybe I worry too much and hopefully I am wrong but with all the addition of abandoned rail beds being added I fear we might only be left with them some time in the future.
They might be great as an alternate trail to get you back in a hurry after a long day but that's there only real value but I certainly don't want them to disappear.
Johnnie

Post by Johnnie »

Reasons rail grades make great trails for all uses:

1) Never again do you have to worry about someone buying a segment of rail grade and cutting off the trail, it is now state owned.

2) Grades make wonderful State Corridors. NST is now State Cooridor 7. WRST is now State Corridor 9.

3) People use them more then any other single trail, in area. Ask a groomer driver who tries to groom a grade during the day.

4) With same traffic, straight trails always last longer then curvy hilly trails, where brakes and throttles are used more.

5) Straight grades are safer to ride for families. They can easier see oncoming traffic. No hils or sharp corners.

Like them or not there is more traffic on the grades then other trails.
unlocal

rail trails

Post by unlocal »

Amen to that!!:thumbup:
snoway

Post by snoway »

To me rail trails are boring. I only use them to get to the trails I actually enjoy riding.
I'm not against adding new ones but if the plan would ever be to then do away with woods/other trails I would probably only ride in areas that have trails other than freeways.
I hope that never happens because we couldn't get to Johnnies by trail.
I think the majority of snowmobilers would agree.