Fastest way to Iron River and trail pass for MI

100 Mile Snow Safari General Chat
cedarburger

Fastest way to Iron River and trail pass for MI

Post by cedarburger »

Just wondering...I assume that the grade is the fastest is that right? What are the conditions on the grade? Does it hook into the UP system at the end? Also, where can I buy a trail pass as I head up.

Thanks.
ralphie

Iron River

Post by ralphie »

Yes, the NST grade is by far the quickest way. The grade runs to about 5 miles south of MI, but the trail that connects to the grade going into Iron River is pretty straight also. As long as you stop at the first available place to buy a sticker you will be fine. The last time I came through there was last Friday, 1/24, and everything was as good as it gets. I start out in Hiles but I would guess from Johnnies to the gas station in Iron River would be about 60 miles. Hope that helps, have a good ride.
cedarburger

Post by cedarburger »

[QUOTE=ralphie;19811]Yes, the NST grade is by far the quickest way. The grade runs to about 5 miles south of MI, but the trail that connects to the grade going into Iron River is pretty straight also. As long as you stop at the first available place to buy a sticker you will be fine. The last time I came through there was last Friday, 1/24, and everything was as good as it gets. I start out in Hiles but I would guess from Johnnies to the gas station in Iron River would be about 60 miles. Hope that helps, have a good ride.[/QUOTE]

Thank you ralphie ...much appreciated. I will be hitting that trail tomorrow morning.
snoway

Post by snoway »

Burger....Take the NST grade to Pentoga. That is the fastest crossing into MI and lands you on MI trail 2....from there you go east to either Florence, alpha or Crystal Falls or west to either Caspian or Iron River (2 miles apart) ...fuzzy on this , but I don't think Caspian gas station has permits , but worth a stop to check...right on trail 2.

If for some reason you chose to peel off at Tipler past the Whitetail...and get to Iron River through Brule it will be a MUCH longer trek....just sayin.